[Update: Rolling out] Verizon launching Common Profile RCS ‘Chat’ for Pixel three on December sixth
Final month, it emerged that Verizon was planning to launch Common Profile RCS early subsequent 12 months. The Google-backed messaging commonplace is now set to formally start rolling out on December sixth for the Pixel three and Pixel three XL.
Earlier at the moment, Verizon workers on Reddit famous the launch, with the provider formally confirming it in a press release to a number of publications this afternoon. Whereas Verizon already helps superior options like learn receipts and typing indicators in its first-party Messages+ app, the Common Profile ensures provider interoperability.
Like Google, Verizon refers to it as “Chat” and “enhanced messaging.” The interior doc posted by workers offers a full checklist of options, and names Google’s Messages app because the place to entry the brand new performance:
- Ship bigger textual content messages: Create bigger messages as much as 8000 characters lengthy. With Android Messages Chat you’re now not restricted to 160 characters.
- Typing indicators: See when your contact is typing in a dialog.
- Learn receipts: See when your message has been learn.
- Massive group chats: Create group chats with as much as 100 contributors who even have chat options enabled.
- Excessive-quality media sharing: Share photos and movies in high-quality.
- Chat over WiFi: you’ll be able to ship messages over WiFi, even while you don’t have a mobile connection.
- Switch bigger information: Ship bigger attachments than ever earlier than.
This performance will solely work for customers which have Chat enabled on their gadgets, with this particularly being the case in group conversations. In any other case, the opposite occasion will obtain messages as SMS/MMS. Different touted options which are already dwell in Messages for the Pixel three and Pixel three XL embody “native sharing, cell cost, sending audio recording, sending stickers, and far more.”
Whereas restricted to the 2 Made by Google telephones, it is a good signal that the SMS/MMS alternative is lastly occurring in a major manner and coming to customers within the U.S.
Replace 12/6: Verizon revealed a help web page detailing “Chat options within the Messages app” at the moment. A FAQ notes help for the Pixel three and Pixel three XL, in addition to different person questions. In the meantime, there are already various studies from Verizon subscribers that the function is dwell at the moment.
You may encounter a welcome immediate in Messages noting that the function is dwell, or can verify Settings > Superior > Chat options. Moreover, conversations with supported customers will notice “Chat message” within the reply discipline as a substitute of “Textual content Message.”
Try 9to5Google on YouTube for extra information: